SOI > Scottish Oceans Institute > History of The Gatty Marine Laboratory
History of The Gatty Marine Laboratory
The Scottish Oceans Institute is located on the site of the original 'Gatty Marine Laboratory' by St Andrews' East Sands.
The Gatty Marine Laboratory was opened in 1896 and has been continuously occupied except for the period between 1931 and the end of the Second World War. The laboratory has its origins in the government funded St Andrews Fisheries Laboratory which was founded in 1884. The creation of a permanent marine laboratory was the dream of local teenager, William McIntosh who went on to become one of the leading zoologists of his generation.
... read more about the History of Gatty (pdf)